Get Away On An Awesome Family Vacation
By Nancy Schretter, Editor
Today’s best family vacation destinations are packed with a wide range of features and attractions designed to please every family member. Ships like Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Getaway fit the bill perfectly. Norwegian Getaway’s hallmarks include an oceanfront boardwalk lined with bars and restaurants, a massive waterpark and ropes course, top Broadway–style shows and entertainment, and some of the most extensive facilities dedicated to youth programs in the fleet. This amenity–packed ship delivers tons of fun for families with kids of all ages, from toddlers to young adults.
Norwegian Getaway is a great choice for families and multigenerational groups seeking a wide variety of dining venues and lounges, non–stop entertainment, and exciting activities for all ages. Here are seven of the many things families will love about Norwegian Getaway:
- Extensive Choice of Family Accommodations.With over 2,000 staterooms, Norwegian Getaway has accommodations to fit every family’s vacation budget. This is particularly important if you’re planning a family reunion or multigenerational event where multiple budget levels may be required. The ship offers a wide array of options, from sumptuous suites and villas to solo cabins for single multigenerational family members. Family members seeking VIP treatment can opt for posh suites and family villas in The Haven. These accommodations come with their own butler and private dining options at The Haven Restaurant. The Norwegian Getaway also offers a number of Family Staterooms located near the youth club areas, connecting staterooms, and a variety of staterooms accommodating children in the same cabin.
- Adrenaline-Charged Waterpark.Norwegian Getaway’s multi-story Aqua Park features five waterslides, two pools and four hot tubs. This centrally-located waterpark atop the ship appeals to families, thrill seekers and kids at heart. Norwegian Getaway’s multi-story waterslides are mind bending and include two of the fastest waterslides at sea. Don’t miss plummeting almost straight down on The Whip and taking The Free Fall – pulling almost 4Gs. In addition to an adult pool, there’s also a mini-waterpark area that’s just the right size for little ones.
- Wide Array of Dining Options.Families won’t have a chance to be bored with dining options on Norwegian Getaway. The ship is a foodie paradise with 26 different dining choices. The Waterfront is a stunning quarter-mile outdoor promenade lined with a variety of seaside restaurants and lounge areas offering beautiful ocean views. Celebrity Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian has three seafood venues on Norwegian Getaway: Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian; Ocean Blue on The Waterfront; and The Raw Bar. All are outstanding. 678 Ocean Place makes navigating Norwegian Getaway seamless, interconnecting three decks of dining and entertainment areas.
For variety, Norwegian Getaway guests can sample cuisines from around the world, including French, Italian, Brazilian, and Far East delights such as Teppanyaki, Shanghai’s Noodle Bar, and sushi at Wasabi. Those craving well-marbled steak should look no further than Cagney’s Steakhouse, while Le Bistro is the place to go for a memorable French meal. Guests with a sweet tooth should make sure to save some room for treats from The Bake Shop. Families will be happy to know there’s a Dolce Gelato shop on the ship, too. Some Norwegian Getaway restaurants carry additional charges, but others including the popular O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill, Savor, Taste, Garden Café’s casual buffet, Flamingo Bar & Grill, and the Tropicana Room are free of charge.
- Huge Kids and Teen Spaces.Norwegian Getaway’s Splash Academy youth area spans across two decks close to the ship’s family staterooms, upping the convenience factor for parents. The youth area features sections designed specifically for three age groups: Turtles for ages 3-5; Seals for ages 6-9; and Dolphins for ages 10-12. Splash Academy also offers activities for Guppies, tiny cruisers from 6 months to 3 years of age. Parents with kids of this age can enjoy fun events with their child, including sensory play classes and even a parent and tot mini workout session.
Splash Academy is located on Norwegian Getaway’s Decks 12 and 13. On Deck 12, parents and kids enter the reception area and register their children using Norwegian’s e-Youth tablet-based electronic registration system. Once inside, 3-5 year olds will find their own colorful space complete with wall-mounted activities and child-sized furniture. In a separate area nearby,
6-9 year olds have a spot filled with building block activity centers, a dedicated space with popular video game stations, an interactive dance area, and much more. Upstairs on Deck 13, 10-12 year olds have their own place to hang out complete with dedicated gaming stations, a great lounge area, multi-purpose visual dance space with a touch screen jukebox, and an activity zone with tons of supplies for arts and crafts. Comfortable seating and vibrant colors will make this the cool space for tweens to chill on their cruise.
Located separately on Deck 16, Entourage is a high energy zone exclusively for teens ages 13-17. This hot spot includes air hockey, foosball, and an arcade center with five separate areas equipped with large screens for playing the latest video games. At night, Entourage turns into a teens-only nightclub with a dance floor, video jukebox, and large screen television. Entourage is conveniently located near the video arcade and an outdoor eatery and refreshment area, perfect for teens who just want to stay and play.
- Sizzling Entertainment.Norwegian Getaway features live Broadway-style performances and tons of exciting nightly shows. One of the most popular shows is Million Dollar Quartet, a musical inspired by a one night recording session that brought together music legends Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. Guests can also take in Norwegian Getaway’s Cirque Dreams and Steam dinner show, enjoy nightly live blues performances at Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club, the sizzling Burn The Floor dance show, live comedy at Headliners Comedy Club, Howl at the Moon dueling pianos show, and much more. Families will love Escape the Big Top, a fast-paced activity allowing them to solve challenges together and break a magician’s spell.
- Ropes Course Thrills.Norwegian Getaway’s massive multi-level ropes course consists of over forty different components including a zip track. Adventurous guests can walk The Plank out to its end to find themselves standing eight feet out off the side of the ship. Not to be left out, there’s even a pint-sized ropes course for younger kids who aren’t yet 48-inches tall. Norwegian Getaway’s Sports Complex also features a nine-hole miniature golf course located right beneath the ropes course, a huge rock climbing wall, a bungee trampoline and spider web, a 24-foot enclosed climbing cage, a basketball court, and more.
- Non-Stop Fun For Parents and Young Adults. Norwegian Getaway offers several adults-only venues aboard the ship. Located on Deck 16, Miami-themed Spice H2O is the place to go both day and night. This area features two hot tubs, a calming double waterfall, sun loungers, a large video screen, a bar and lounge area and plenty of space for dancing. Deck 17 is home to the private Vibe Beach Club, an exclusive oasis for sunning and relaxing for guests 18 and older. Norwegian Getaway’s world-class Mandarin Spa, Salon & Fitness Center is popular with adults as well. Guests can choose from Norwegian Getaway’s huge collection of bars and lounges ranging from Bliss Ultra Lounge to the expansive Bar at the Atrium with its two-story LED screen. Lounges such as the Sugarcane Mojito Bar and Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club offer live entertainment. Located on 678 Ocean Place, Prime Meridian is a classy spot to enjoy a signature cocktail. Adult guests also enjoy cooling off while sampling frosty cocktails in the SVEDKA & Inniskillin Ice Bar inspired by Scandinavia’s ice hotels. It’s truly a memorable experience.
For more information about the Norwegian Getaway, visit ncl.com/cruise-ship/Getaway. For more information about Norwegian Cruise Line's wide variety of family-friendly cruise options,visit www.ncl.com.
©Copyright 2017. Beacon Group Holdings,
Inc. All Rights Reserved.