This Jamaica Family Vacation Gives Back
By Nancy Schretter, Editor
Ocho Rios has become a top destination for Caribbean family vacations. Located about 90 minutes from Montego Bay’s international airport, Ocho Rios is a great choice for those seeking an active family vacation. There’s something for everyone here, including beautiful beaches, adventure, outstanding water sports, and lots of fun.
For families looking for all-inclusive vacations with lots of activities and family room, the best choice is Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club. Set directly on the Caribbean Sea, this 22-acre property offers a wide variety of accommodations and activities to please every age group. There are also opportunities to connect with the local community, learn about marine life, and give back as well.
Here are ten of the many things families get at Beaches Ocho Rios:
1. All-Inclusive Luxury. All-inclusive resorts make family vacations simple. They're easy to plan and there are no worries about where to eat or how much those fantastic crepes and smoothies cost. Almost everything is included. Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club is a superb family all-inclusive vacation destination. The property received TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Award as one of the top 10 hotels for families in the Caribbean. It was also named one of the Top 10 Best Beach Resorts by Parents magazine.
2. Plenty of Family Room. Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club is an excellent choice for families who don’t like to cramp their style. Set directly on the Caribbean Sea, this property offers a wide variety of accommodations to please every age group. Beaches Ocho Rios carries its strong guest service orientation straight through to its lodging options, providing Suite Concierge Service in selected accommodations. Vacationers can choose from large megasuites, luxury suites and family-sized rooms. Some accommodations are located oceanfront and many have beautiful sea views.
3. Water, Water Everywhere. The resort features five pools, two whirlpools and the massive 27,000 square-foot Pirates Island Water Park with water slides for all ages. Many parents find it hard to get their kids to leave this area with its three huge water slides and six kiddie slides, the Treasure Isle Aqua Play area featuring water cannons, the Water Crawl Cargo Net Aqua-Play Structure with a sea creature theme, and a kiddie area and zero entry pool for the resort’s youngest guests.
4. Great Kids & Teens Activities. The Kids’ Kamp at Beaches Ocho Rios offers daily activities and adventures for children of all ages, from the youngest infants to teens. Separate programs are offered for infants from 0-2, toddlers ages 3-4 and 5-7, and Pre-Adolescents from 8-10 years of age. Tweens (11-14) and teens (15-17) have their own distinct areas and programs, including special “no parents” hours at the cool Liquid by Beaches nightclub. The resort’s Trench Town teens hang out is a hot spot for teens to chill out, with games, flat-screen TVs, and a state-of-the-art sound system.
Beaches Resorts has an exclusive partnership with Sesame Street, adding to the delight of vacationing kids and their parents. Younger children will love seeing and interacting with all their favorite Sesame Street characters at the resort and playing with them at themed activities throughout their stay, including character breakfasts and other events. Older kids will find their bliss at the resort’s X-Box Play Lounge. Beaches Resorts also has a partnership with New York City-based Scratch DJ Academy, providing the resort the opportunity to offer ‘DJ 101’ for tweens, teens and families. There are also daily theme events for the whole family to enjoy, including a Caribbean Street Party and a Family Fiesta.
5. Lots of Fun for Adults. When the kids are happy, parents are happy – but it’s important for parents to have a great vacation, too. With such great kids and teens programs, parents can relax and enjoy some guilt-free time alone. Sports lovers will have plenty to do at Beaches. Guests can play tennis, croquet, basketball, and more. In addition, golfers enjoy free greens fees at the nearby 18-hole Sandals Golf and Country Club and transportation is included. To get some additional pampering or soothe sore muscles, choose from an extensive array of treatments (for an extra charge) at Beaches’ Red Lane Spa.
6. All-Inclusive Family Friendly Restaurants. At Beaches Ocho Rios Resort, guests can choose from six different dining options, all of which are included as part of their vacation and no reservations are required. There are seven all-inclusive bars on property, serving up guests’ favorite tropical libations with a smile. There’s even a free Chocolate Buffet on Fridays. Don’t miss Josephine’s Creperie for delicious crepes and smoothies and BBQ Park for Jamaican jerk specialties.
7. Free Water Sports. Beaches guests have plenty of all-inclusive water sports options such as Stand Up Paddleboarding, Hobie Cat sailing, catamaran excursions, windsurfing, snorkeling, and lots more. There are protected marine areas very close to Beaches Ocho Rios, making it an excellent destination for snorkeling and diving. Unlimited all-inclusive scuba diving is available at Beaches for certified divers. There are also scuba courses offered for children and non-certified guests for a small fee.
8. Programs that Give Back. Beaches Ocho Rios offers its guests more than just a great vacation. Through programs launched by the Sandals Foundation, Beaches offers ways to engage in philanthropic activities as well. Families who would like to give back and help the local community can take a Reading Road Trip, available to adults and children ages 8 and older. Offered in conjunction with Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, this excursion takes families to local schools where they can help by reading books with local children and leading exercises to improve kids’ reading comprehension skills. Tour participants and all Beaches Resorts guests can help support local schools by bringing along books and schools supplies for donation. Through the Sandals Foundation’s partnership with Pack for a Purpose, over 3,500 pounds of school supplies have been donated to local Caribbean schools. Check the Pack for a Purpose website for details and lists of each school’s needs.
9. Opportunities to Save Sea Turtles. Beaches guests and island visitors also have the opportunity to learn about endangered sea turtles on a special interactive Turtle Watch Tour offered by the Sandals Foundation and their partners. As part of this unique excursion, guests can interact with researchers and observe turtles during the nesting and hatching season. Watching baby turtles emerge from their nest is definitely a bucket list experience and one that should not be missed. All tour proceeds support endangered sea turtle conservation and research. See the Island Routes Caribbean Adventures tour desk for more information.
10. Tons of Active Adventures Nearby. One of the benefits of staying in the Ocho Rios area is the wide variety of things to do. There’s definitely something for everyone here. The Island Routes Caribbean Adventures desk at Beaches Ocho Rios can help you find the best tours and off-property activities to match your family’s interests.
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club is a great vacation choice for families. To get a better feel for the Beaches Ocho Rios vacation experience, take a look at this Pinterest board. Enjoy taking this virtual Jamaica vacation, then start planning your family’s next visit.
If You Go:
Copyright 2015. Beacon Group Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.