Nevis Is A Natural For Family Vacations
By Nancy Schretter, Editor
Nevis is an excellent choice for a laid-back family vacation. This unspoiled Caribbean island paradise features beautiful beaches, world-class resorts, championship golf, a wealth of historic sites and some of the Caribbean’s best beach bars and dining experiences. Nevis is a unique, tranquil place with its own special kind of charm.
There are no crowds, and the pace of life on Nevis is relaxed and unrushed. That’s certainly part of the draw for families. “A few things that made Nevis particularly appealing are that it’s a little bit off the beaten path and it’s a very safe island, which is very important especially when traveling with little ones,” said Elena Davis who vacationed on Nevis recently with her husband and three young children.
While the island is home to a number of outstanding resorts and spectacular beaches, the allure of Nevis stretches well beyond its golden strands. The island’s abundant natural beauty and friendly people are two of its greatest resources. If you’re planning a family or multigenerational Caribbean vacation, here are seven reasons why Nevis should be your destination of choice:
1. Relax and Reconnect. New guests arriving at Nisbet Plantation Beach Club on Nevis are often encouraged by General Manager Alistair Forrest to “live in the moment.” They may not immediately understand the meaning of that phrase, but after spending a few days at the resort it becomes crystal clear. Many adults and children lead highly overscheduled lives, but all that slips away at Nisbet. While there are certainly activities to please every age group and interest at this property, guests also feel completely empowered to unwind at the beach and do nothing. Families can relax and reconnect with each other here. The natural beauty of Nisbet Plantation and its exceptionally caring staff helps to make that possible. “Instead of dwelling on the busy life they are vacationing from or planning the next meal or the next activity, we enjoy helping guests to just relax and focus on what they are doing at that very moment in time here at Nisbet,” said Forrest. That kind of mindfulness is what a Nevis vacation is all about.
2. Play Together at Top Family-Friendly Resorts. Families are often drawn to Nevis because of its world-class resorts. That was the case for Elena Davis and her husband, who brought their entire family to the Four Seasons Resort Nevis to celebrate their ten year anniversary. “The appeal was that the resort was on a beautiful Caribbean beach, the quality and reputation of Four Seasons resorts, and that a Kids Club and babysitting services were available,” said Davis. Elena and her husband, Peter, also liked the idea of trying something new. “We didn’t know anyone who had been there with their family,” she said. They were very pleased with the kid-friendly pools and restaurants at the resort, as were other Four Seasons guests.
Guests at both Nisbet Plantation and the Four Seasons also mentioned the friendly, attentive staff at the resorts. At Nisbet Plantation, guests and staff members are part of one big happy family. Roslyn and Patterson, two popular staff members, greet guests with warm smiles and are often welcomed with big hugs. “It always feels like coming home here,” said one returning guest. Elena Davis noticed how attentive the Four Seasons staff was to her children. “Our staff member was Phaedra who checked in on us and made the kids feel like little VIPs,” she said.
Resorts also offer plenty of family room for families and multigenerational groups to spread out. Nisbet Plantation offers a variety of cottage-style accommodations with easy access for all ages. It’s perfect for multigenerational vacations and large family events. The Four Seasons Resort Nevis gives families the choice of large rooms and suites, connecting rooms or beautifully furnished villas with a wide range of bedroom configurations and amenities. Other choices on Nevis include historic plantation inns and resorts that are exclusively comprised of villas, such as Paradise Beach Nevis.
Located on a lovely beach, Paradise Beach Nevis is a private beachfront resort with gorgeous three- and four-bedroom posh vacation homes. Each of the spacious villas is beautifully decorated and has its own pool. These villas are a great choice for families and multigenerational groups seeking the luxury of a villa with resort amenities. Guests staying at Paradise Beach have access to many of the services found at resorts including concierge assistance, butlers, private chefs and more.
3. Enjoy Picture Perfect Beaches. Gorgeous beaches are often an important factor in choosing a destination for a family vacation. Nevis offers a number of postcard worth strands, all of which are worth exploring. Pinney’s Beach stretches for almost three miles and is the setting for the Four Seasons Resort Nevis as well as several popular beach bars such as Sunshine’s. Other favorites include beautiful Nisbet Beach, Paradise Beach and Oualie Beach.
4. Get Sporty. The par 71 Robert Trent Jones II Golf Course at the Four Seasons Resort Nevis is one of the world’s most spectacular courses, offering stunning views of majestic 3,300-foot Nevis Peak and the Caribbean Sea. Set at the foot of a dormant volcano, the 18-hole layout stretches over 6,700 yards and is filled with elevation changes, water hazards and more. Tennis is available at the Four Seasons and Nisbet Plantation as well. Other popular sporting activities include fishing, horseback riding, hiking, cycling and watersports including snorkeling, diving, kayaking sailing and windsurfing.
5. Experience Natural Wonders. From rainforest to reef, Nevis has much for families to explore. Nevis is a natural paradise for hikers. One of the most popular hikes is through the tropical rainforest to Nevis Peak, a dormant volcano that rises over 3,200 feet. Nevis offers excellent snorkeling and scuba diving for families via catamaran snorkeling trips and a variety of diving excursions. Unique underwater experiences are also available for active families on Nevis, such as the Four Seasons’ Dive & Dine program. Certified divers can do a two-tank dive with a Four Seasons Chef and a local divemaster to find their own lobster and catch it with a handmade lasso. They then return to shore where their chef grills their catch as part of a huge feast on the beach. It’s certainly one of the most memorable dining experiences ever and “ocean to table” at its best.
6. Go Wild Over Monkeys. Nevis is home to more Vervet monkeys than people and families go wild over these cute long-tailed creatures. Monkey photo safaris are quite popular with families visiting the island and children are enchanted. Monkeys are usually easy to spot early in the morning or late in the afternoon, particularly along the fairways of the Four Seasons’ golf course and at Golden Rock Inn.
7. Be Enriched and Give Back. Nevis is filled with history and opportunities to learn. There’s much to explore here including the Museum of Nevis History, which is also the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton. Families often enjoy shopping in the capital city of Charlestown, visiting historic sugar plantations, and walking through the colorful Botanical Gardens of Nevis. The lovely stone ruins of Cottle Church, an Anglican church where planter John Cottle’s family and slaves worshiped together, are not be missed. Families can assist local area schools through Nisbet Plantation’s exceptional program to support local schools. The resort has partnered with Pack for a Purpose to help facilitate this goal. School supplies and new or gently used books are warmly welcomed.
Nevis is a visually stunning island, as this Pinterest board shows. Once vacationers have experienced Nevis, many return repeatedly year after year. The island has a high repeat guest rate, and it’s easy to understand why. Nevis is an extraordinary destination – the kind of unique unspoiled paradise that’s so hard to find these days. Experience it once and you’ll understand. Nevis always brings you back home again.
For more information about planning your Nevis family vacation, visit www.nevisisland.com.
©Copyright 2015. Beacon Group Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.